A while ago myself, Ryan, and Allison were talking. Somehow it came up that when I was in 10th grade (1995), I started a list of all the movies I had watched in my life. I worked on it back then for a short period and came up with around 200 movies. Unfortunately, that list is long gone. Fast forward to 2008 and they both said I should restart that list. So starting in May I worked on “Movies I’ve Watched in My Lifetime”, or at least a list of ones that I could remember watching. To start out I had a few guidelines:
1. The movie had to have a running time of at least 60 minutes, so no shorts.
2. No TV movies. To qualify as a theater picture it must be listed as one on the internet movie database. So the tv movie “Duel” is not listed, even though it was released in theaters outside the U.S.
3. Any genre of motion picture, including documentaries.
4. Movies from episodes of Mystery Science 3000 are included. I personally consider those just a different version of the movie.
5. I had to be able to remember watching “most” of the film. This is purely subjective and if I couldn’t remember watching most of it, I didn’t include it.
I’m no moviephile by any means, and I don’t own many movies myself, but the grand total (so far) is :
All decades from the 1930’s to now are included. Notabley absent are the great classics such as Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and NorthBy Northwest. Recent blockbusters missing include the Lord of the Rings Triology and the Harry Potter movies. Nearly 25 years of watching movies are included, starting with the first film I watched in the theater, The Muppets Take Manhattan in 1984. That works out to an average of 30 movies a year. Like I said I’m no moviephile, but I do enjoy watching movies when I’m in the right mood. Anyways, you can view the entire list alphabetically at:
And yes, I do have too much time on my hands :)