1. Britain and Russia: All is still not well: In 2006, Russian Alexander Litvinenko, a “fierce critic of former Russian President Vladimir Putin,” was poisoned by an assumed state-sanctioned hitman while living in a self-imposed exile in the UK. This article mostly deals with whether the UK will formally accuse Russia of this and similar actions. I understand these are very strong accusations for a country to make, but it appears many prominent British figures believe it to be the truth, so I think that waiting on the accusation only slows progression and gives the impression that this is okay or, at least, that people can get away with such actions. Further reading: Obituary: Alexander Litvinenko.
2. Male Biological Clock Ticks Too: The BBC is obsessed with reporting on fertility lately. I don’t have a particular interest in it, but maybe there’s a reason why fertility is so popular. Further reading: Accupuncture ‘no help for IVF,’ Coffee ‘worsens poor fertility’, Cancer patients’ fertility hope
3. Six Burned Bodies in Mexico: Three Mexican drug lords are fighting for prime smuggling routes to the US. This leads to increased fighting and is an example as to why I think marijuana should be legalized.
4. G8 to move against Mugabe allies: I didn’t know the G8 (+5) existed until I started reading the news regularly this year. The idea of 8 powerful nations forming a club that takes turn hosting/setting the agenda is pretty interesting. This articles talks about how they are planning to aide Zimbabwe. Further reading: G8 urged to do more for climate, G8 urged to act over oil prices.
5. More time to quiz murder suspect: It’s always interesting to see what murder cases become mainstream media, though, I’m not sure if papers outside of the UK and France are reporting on this case regularly. The case: two students were stabbed a total of 240 times and then set on fire in one of the students’ apartment. There have been no arrests, but this article states a burn victim that was recently treated is a suspect. Police have also not realeased why these two were targeted for such brutalities. I suspect a hate crime combined with insanity, clinically or drug-induced, or just insanity.